The Clean Energy Council
The clean energy sector is focused on tackling climate change in Australia. We maintain that as stationary energy is responsible for 50% of Australia's emissions - with electricity production by far the largest contributor. Any responsible remedy to climate change must tackle Australia's electricity mix.
Clean energy technologies, particularly clean energy infrastructure and energy efficiency, are the key to stabilising, and reducing, Australia's greenhouse gas emissions.
The Clean Energy Council's 5 point plan for a clean, secure economy is :
- Reduce the growth in energy demand by one third through energy efficiency targets and regulations.
- A guaranteed minimum 20 per cent of Australia's electricity sourced from renewables by 2020.
- The removal of any systemic barriers, to improve access to clean power.
- A $2 billion Clean Energy Innovation Fund.
- An emissions trading scheme that will stabilise emissions at 2000 levels by 2020